#GivingTuesday is an international day of charitable giving that follows Thanksgiving weekend. You can participate on this day by choosing to donate to our Weekender Backpack ministry. This ministry assembles bags of non-perishable food (both donated by parishioners and purchased by the church through cash donations) to students who have been identified by their schools as food insecure over the weekends when they cannot access school breakfast and lunch programs. These bags of food are discreetly placed in their backpacks by school personnel. We currently support 140 students at St. Barnabas Catholic School, Holy Family Catholic School and Simmons Middle School.
Here is how you can give:
- Donate online at Faith Direct, our online giving platform; select Weekender Backpack ministry (there are two options - recurring donations or one time only.)
- Text to give at Faith Direct 205-881-5515;
- Venmo to @popcatholichoover. (See QR code below to scan with your phone's camera.)
- All three of these digital options can be easily accessed on our website under the “Give” tab.
- Pick up a “Together We Give” envelope in the gathering space at the round table or welcome desk or in church office; or
- Simply drop a check in the offertory basket and note Weekender Backpack ministry on the check.
A donation of $250 provides a “weekender backpack” for a student once per week for the whole school year.
Want to get involved in the Weekender Backpack ministry? Go to our website and visit our SignUpGenius page and volunteer to serve. Our next backpack assembly date is January 7, 2021.