Prince of Peace Marriage Preparation Program is a one-day class/workshop format with multiple presenters and the administration of the FOCCUS© Inventory.
The one-day program includes presentations on:
- Spirituality and Faith in Marriage and Family
- Blended Families
- Family Finances
- Communication, Connectedness, and Intimacy (offered by a licensed psychologist)
Couples will spend time in a classroom setting with other couples, as well as private conversations prompted by written questions. Prior to the class, couples will complete the online FOCCUS© Inventory, which is a comprehensive list of questions that helps engaged couples appreciate their unique relationship, learn more about themselves, and discuss topics important to their lifelong marriage. Afterwards a trained facilitator will meet with each couple to review the results and to lead a discussion about possible implications for their marriage.
Our team will also assist the couple with the required Diocesan forms (prenuptial investigation, request for permission/dispensations from the Bishop’s office if needed, etc.) Class size is limited. Cost of the class is $15 per couple and payment can be made before or on the date of the class with cash, check or Venmo @POPCatholicHoover. To register, please contact the church office at 205-822-9125.
CHECKLIST FOR COMPLETING PRINCE OF PEACE
MARRIAGE PREPARATION PROGRAM
Use this to get access to all the information you need. You might want to bookmark this page!
- If you are not getting married at Prince of Peace, you must first obtain approval in writing and bring it to the class indicating that your officiating priest will accept our program.
- The State of Alabama recently changed the marriage law. Be sure to review and understand the new law.
- For couples getting married at Prince of Peace, please ensure you have read our wedding guidelines.
- Schedule to attend a full-day Sunday Marriage Prep Session.
- Both the bride and groom must take the FOCCUS Inventory online.
- Schedule meeting with a facilitator to go over FOCCUS and complete diocesan paperwork.
- Review materials on BLENDED FAMILIES, if there are children from a previous marriage or relationship.
_____ Received permission from officiating priest/deacon that they will accept the Prince of Peace Marriage Preparation Program
- For couples not getting married by a Prince of Peace priest or deacon, it is the engaged couple’s responsibility to obtain permission in writing that the priest or deacon who will officiate at your wedding will accept the Prince of Peace Marriage Preparation program. You may want to show him this document regarding the outline of the program.
_____ Read document about changes to Alabama marriage law. Click here.
_____ Read wedding guidelines (if wedding is to be at Prince of Peace)
Here are the dates for upcoming Sunday Sessions:
January 12, 2020
April 19, 2020
September 13, 2020
The fee is $15 per couple, payable on or before the day of the session. Payments can be made to the church office or through Venmo (@POPCatholicHoover).
_____Both of us completed the FOCCUS INVENTORY online.
- Both the bride and groom must separately complete the FOCCUS INVENTORY. Email Dr. Dale Wisely at [email protected] for arrangements to take the inventory online. This does not happen automatically. Be sure to reach out to Dr. Wisely. This must be done prior to attending the Sunday Session. Dr. Wisely will need your names and separate email addresses. You'll then receive an email from FOCCUS with login instructions. The first person to log in, will be prompted to pay a $15 fee, which covers the inventory for both parties.
_____Completed online BLENDED FAMILY components, if applicable.
- If there are children from a previous marriage/relationship, complete online BLENDED FAMILY component
- Listen to the Blended Families Podcast at https://popfamilylife.podbean.com/e/blendedfamilies
_____Met with Team Couple to review FOCCUS INVENTORY results and complete required paperwork.
- On another date after the Sunday Session, meet with FOCCUS facilitators to review FOCCUS results, complete required paperwork, and receive a certification of having completed the Prince of Peace Marriage Program. You will arrange this time while here for the Sunday Session.