Getting Married at POP
We are glad that you have chosen to express your faith in God and your love for each other through the sacrament of marriage. We hope we can do our part to support you as you plan your wedding and your marriage.
Our Marriage Preparation Program
Prince of Peace offers a marriage preparation program centered around attending a full day in a class/workshop format (the “Sunday Session”). There are other required components.
CHECKLIST FOR MARRIAGE PREPARATION AT PRINCE OF PEACE.
Use this to get access to all the information you need. You might want to bookmark this page!
REQUIREMENTS (Visit Checklist Page)
- You and your fiancé separately complete a questionnaire called the FOCCUS© Inventory online prior to attending the Sunday session. We will set both of you up so you can log-in and take the inventory.
- When either member of the couple has children from a previous relationship, both must review materials about Blended Families.
- Attendance of a “Sunday Session,” marriage preparation day. This is offered four times a year at Prince of Peace, from 10:00AM-4:30 PM. The one-day Sunday Session program includes presentations on:
- Spirituality and Faith in Marriage and Family
- Blending Families
- Family Finances
- Communication, Connectedness, and Intimacy
During the Sunday Session day, all couples spend time in private conversations, prompted by written questions we provide. These are designed to prompt couples to discuss some of the challenges they will be facing, along with reflections on the blessing which is their love for each other. Class size is limited. To register, please contact the church office at 205-822-9125.
5. At an arranged time, the couple meets once at Prince of Peace with facilitators for a discussion of their FOCCUS inventory results. This typically occurs after the Sunday Session. One of our team couples, trained as facilitators of the FOCCUS© Inventory, subsequently meets with each couple to review the results and to lead a discussion about possible implications for their marriage. Our team couple will also assist the couple with the required Diocesan forms (prenuptial investigation, request for permission/dispensations from the Bishop’s office if needed, etc.)
IMPORTANT NOTE: It is your responsibility to be certain that if the priest or deacon who will officiate at your wedding is NOT assigned to Prince of Peace, that he will accept our program as sufficient preparation for marriage. Below is a link to a document which outlines the program. Before planning to complete our marriage prep program, you should speak with the priest or deacon who will be officiating at your wedding, show him this information, and confirm he will accept the Prince of Peace Marriage Preparation program.
Below you will find some materials which you will need to plan your wedding at POP at your marriage preparation program.
CHECKLIST FOR PLANNING MARRIAGE PREPARATION AT PRINCE OF PEACE. Use this to get access to all the information you need. You might want to bookmark this page!
MARRIAGE PREPARATION PROGRAM SUMMARY (We suggest showing this to your officiating priest or deacon)
If you have questions, please call the church office at (205) 822-9125. Congratulations!