For Catholics, the Sacrament of Marriage, or Holy Matrimony, is a public sign that one gives oneself totally to another person. It is also a public statement about God: the loving union of husband and wife speaks of the love between the Holy Trinity and the family values reflect God's values.
Marriage is a solemn and important sacrament that has several important steps leading up to the ceremony itself. As an overview the couple wishing to be married at Prince of Peace must begin the following steps at least six months prior to their wedding date:
- Personally speak to a priest at Prince of Peace for approval to marry
- Contact the church office at 205-822-9125 for available dates and required paperwork. Review list of guidelines.
- Both parties must obtain a copy of their baptismal certificate from the church where they were baptized.
- Meet with the wedding coordinator and music director
- Complete a required Marriage preparation class at POP or attend an "Engaged Encounter" retreat weekend through the Diocese of Birmingham
- Take the FOCCUS inventory questionnaire and schedule follow-up meeting
- Finalize all required paperwork and payments to church office